So, at the Knitting and Stitching show with my friend Ruth, standing in a queue at the Doughty’s stand, a lady near the front of the queue pulled out a roll of fabric, shrieked ‘SNAKES’ and shoved the roll back in. Intrigued, when I got to where she had been standing I pulled out the roll and found this…never mind the snakes, look at the beautiful beetles ! Love at first sight.
Earlier in the show I had bought the Tilly and the Buttons Fifi pyjamas pattern and decided to make them out of this fabric. I cut out most of the pyjamas although I decided that the ‘shorty’ bottoms on the pattern were just TOO short for me and lengthened them to a ‘pirate’ length . Then I faced a slight dilemma. If I cut the bias strips out of the fabric as instructed in the pattern there wouldn’t be enough fabric left for anything else but if I used bias binding there would be…I ordered some bias binding from Minerva crafts. Unfortunately when it arrived I didn’t like it but discovered some in a drawer that I liked much better !
The pattern is really clear and easy to follow. All the seams are French seams so the insides look really nice. The only problem I encountered was this….the bobbin thread running out with about 5 stitches to go….so irritating !
Me in my pyjamas.
With the remaining metre of fabric plus the offcuts from the pyjamas I reckoned I would have just enough fabric to make view A from McCalls 7360, a TNT pattern.
I theory I DID have enough fabric but when I laid the pattern pieces out I became aware that I would have to think about pattern placement and pattern matching, especially as I wanted to make sure that the beetles were prominently placed so it was very squeaky fabric wise but I succeeded and I love my little shirt. I couldn’t find any buttons I liked that didn’t detract from the print, so I have used dark grey ‘color snaps’ instead.
I’m especially pleased with the pattern matching I achieved on the pocket.
I have cut out all the beetles from the remaining scraps of fabric and shall be using them to decorate a cushion I think.
2.5m of fabric well used.