I don’t know where I first saw the Beryl Bomber dress from Named clothing. But it was really bugging me and I knew that sooner or later I would have to make it. So I bought the pattern and I’ve had it hanging around for a while waiting for the right moment. I was having a sort out of my fabrics and I came across this Japanese print fabric from Dragonfly fabrics which I bought last September with the intention of using it for my Tello jacket, and intention which got superseded.
But this blue checked fabric looked as if it would work for the Beryl and I do feel guilty if I have fabrics hanging around for ages, especially if they have been pushed aside for a new shiny thing…
The only problem being that the back sleeve and shoulder is all cut in one and the fabric wasn’t quite wide enough to fit it on so I have had to cut that portion on the bias, however it looks really nice and the structure of the fabric means it hasn’t stretched being used in this direction either
Look at that cute little loop centre back !
The pattern calls for folded over stretch ribbing for the collar but I have used this single fold wide rib cuff Albstoffe ‘Cuff me’ cuffs instead which I have also used for the cuffs. The pattern calls for the cuffs to be elasticated in self fabric but instead I have gathered the sleeve and attached the same cuffing as the collar.
It’s got external patch pockets with a slanted opening which are a good size.
The elastic for the waist is enclosed in ribbon as per the instructions which gives a very nice internal finish.
I also read somewhere about trying to use organic materials for sewing so also tested this Organic cotton thread. for this project. It was great, no breaks or tangles and I will be using it again in future.
I found this dress quite a challenging make but it has lots of interesting details and is very comfortable to wear.